Managing a Toxic Leader
1. Design a performance improvement plan (PIP), 4 pages in length, for the manager of an inpatient psychiatric unit, based on a one-page case study scenario.
This assessment provides an opportunity for you to evaluate a leader’s performance in relation to organizational mission, vision, and goals and to develop a plan for performance improvement.
As you prepare to complete this assessment, you may want to think about other related issues to deepen your understanding or broaden your viewpoint. You are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community. Note that these questions are for your own development and exploration and do not need to be completed or submitted as part of your assessment.
Consider your own health care organization or another organization with which you are familiar.
• What are the key concepts, practices, and aspects of effective decision-making strategies used to promote safety and quality?
• What is the role of delegation in the organization?
• What is the role of personal power when attempting to facilitate change among parts of the system and organization, across departments, business units, or other structural entities?
Reflect on an inter professional team experience that you have encountered in professional practice.
• What made that experience positive or negative in terms of effective collaboration and patient outcomes?
4. Read the Managing the Toxic Leader Case Study Scenario [DOCX] from the perspective of the chief nursing officer (CNO) or director of nursing (DON) who supervises 3 West.