What contributions did Fechner make to the development of Psychology as a scientific pursuit? Could Psychology have developed without his input?
Below are the details and criteria of the essay:
Need to have good working knowledge of Fechners work and how some of it related to the development of Psychology as a line of scientific investigation.
- Focus on his work on psychophysics and how he taught us that we could quantify aspects of the minds.
- Western philosophy (inc. science and mathematics) had been struggling and disagreeing about the nature of our material and spiritual form.
- Fechner offered a useful set of tools and possibilities to not only conceive of, but mathematically measure aspects of human consciousness.
- Could and would psychology have been able to develop without this important steppingstone? Was it all Zeitgeist or was Fechner needed?
- No right or wrong to the second part of this question, look at all the evidence and what we know about the development of science.
- Include at least 4 relevant and peer-reviewed research articles in your essay. These can be experimental studies and/or reviews.
- Include a reference list at the end of your essay. The reference list does not count towards your word-count.
- Your essay should follow an academic style and the APA rules.