However, studies and practice report that procurement arrangements in mega projects acquisition have in most cases neither been effective nor efficient. They have largely been very limited and fragmented. Governments and practitioners across the globe acknowledge that there should be reforms to governance and institutional procurement arrangements to promote better decision-making in areas such as project selection, funding, financing and the delivery of services etc., for new and existing megaprojects.
It is in this regard that the UK’s Major Projects Authority (MPA), a part of the Efficiency and Reform Group in the Cabinet Office, working with HM Treasury and other government departments to provide independent assurance and improving the way management and delivery of major projects is conducted has requested you to write a report on procurement of megaprojects. This is to enable them create a central knowledge base that collects state-of-the-art research findings on the subject. The intentions are that new research findings in turn will assist in stimulating further research and discussion in the area and also provide some useful procurement guidance for practitioners. The MPA have stated that a diligent assessment of procurement alternatives is a prerequisite to assure Value for Money (VfM) in Mega projects.
Thus, in this report, you have been requested in your capacity as a Construction Procurement Consultant to critically discuss:
- the key drivers of megaprojects commonly found worldwide;
- the barriers in procurement of mega projects globally and particularly (& separately) in the UK;
- the Critical Success Factors(CSFs) in the procurement process for megaprojects; and
- your outline proposal of an innovative procurement ecosystem of megaprojects in the UK in pursuance of superior Value for Money (VfM)
Word Count: 3000
- Discussion of key drivers of mega projects commonly found worldwide. – [10 Marks]
- Analysis of barriers in procurement of mega projects worldwide and particularly in the UK – [30 Marks]
- An outline Critical Success Factors (CSFs) in the procurement process of mega projects – [30 Marks]
- An outline proposal of an innovative procurement ecosystem for mega projects in the UK in pursuance of superior Value for Money (VfM) – [20 Marks] (Asking what is the procurement process in mega projects?)
- Presentation, referencing, graphics – [10 Marks]
- Report should be written in 3rd person
- Typical report contains an executive summary and/or introduction, issues outlined in marking schedule part 1, 2, 3, 4, conclusion and recommendation. Must have headings
- Issues should be worldwide; though report should be focused on the UK