English: CAP assignment guidance
2000 words (50% of the module assignment)
An essay of 2000 words: a critical reflection on the teaching and learning of an aspect of English, including how this might be promoted through another area of the curriculum
A discussion of the importance of multimodal texts in the teaching of reading and/or writing in the primary school.
This assignment asks you to consider the following:
- the role of multimodal texts in children’s current and future literacies;
- the ways in which current curriculum requirements in English primary schools could be used to recognise and promote the reading and/or writing of multimodal texts;
- the relevance of multimodal texts in another subject area.
The assignment will take the form of a 2000 word discussion of the importance of multimodal texts in the primary school. You can structure your work how you wish as long as you address the required content. If you are not sure how to organise your work, a recommended structure for your work is below.
- Explain and define ‘multimodal texts’ for the purposes of your essay – you will need to demonstrate that you understand the range of texts which are ‘multimodal’ – and that they can be paper-based as well as digital or physical.
- Set out and justify your view of the importance of such texts as part of pupils’ experience.
- Explain and analyse the knowledge and skills pupils need to be able to read and/or write multimodal texts.
- Set out and evaluate some ways that pupils might experience multimodal texts in the primary school, including a short section on their relevance in another subject area. You might do this by using an example of a specific multimodal text which could be used to teach skills in both English and another subject.
- End with a short conclusion, including a statement of action for your future practice.
It is strongly recommended that you write more in sections 3 and 4 than in the other sections.
All the above must be supported by reference to literature, research and policy including the National Curriculum and / or the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum.
Your work will need to provide evidence of your reflections of and critical debate in this area. You will be expected to show understanding of tensions between the 21st century literacies experienced by primary aged children and the current curriculum requirements and testing. You need to be able to demonstrate your understanding of the skills and competencies required to engage with and understand multimodal texts. Suggestions of ways forward for you as a teacher will end your essay.