- Look into previous airline handling reports of crashes both good and bad and how it has played out for the airline. As a passenger how would you feel about travelling on an airline which has either been in the news for good or bad reasons?
- Airline travel and the perception of airlines by customers has a dramatic impact. Would you want to fly on a safe airline? How would you as an airline put yourself in the shoes of customers to examine how they see you as a business?
- Examples include Air France AF447 crash, Trasnasia 235, PIA8303, Concorde Crash
- The media plays a huge part in this. By managing the media and what is played out you can control the situation.
Recommended reading Aviation Communication – Strategy and Messages for Ensuring success and preventing failures – Linda Tavlin Economic Analysis of Accident law – Steven Shavell The costs of Accidents – Guido Calabresi Tragic Choices – Guido Calabresi The Plane Truth – Roger Cobb The political economy of international air safety – Vicki Golich The Media and disasters – Joan Deppa
- As the Crisis Manager of Travelair, evaluate the key communication and business continuation priorities and strategies in the first few days and weeks following this accident? [30%]
- As the risk manager for Travelair, analyse the key insurance issues, and the major considerations both for you and your insurers? [30%]
- As the ‘in-house Counsel’ for Travelair, identify and analyse your major concerns and evaluate what you consider the major issues might be for the airline? [30%]
A further 10% of marks are for presentation.
Expected word count: 3,000