You are an engineer employed by a building construction firm, assigned to the drainage systems group. You receive the following solicitation from a company:
ACME Building Supply Company would like to invite you to participate in a new program tailored for engineers of septic/drainage systems. To qualify for this plan, attend the complimentary ACME Building Supply Company Seminar on Septic/Drainage Systems. If you are convinced of the value of our system, simply note on your construction plans that ACME carries septic and drainage products. For the ACME Building Supply Company Rewards Program, your customer makes discounted purchases of ACME septic pipe on your ACME cash account (this is strictly a pay as you go basis). Every month you will receive a rewards certificate. This certificate is based on a percentage of monthly sales. Priority cash coupons may be redeemed at ACME and the East Westville Resort and
As a new engineer, you are very interested in increasing your knowledge of the types of systems and technology available and of the potential suppliers of materials for your projects.
1. Would it be ethical for you to attend the complimentary ACME Building Supply Company Seminar on Septic/Drainage Systems? Why or why not?
2. Would that decision change if the seminar were being held in Las Vegas, Nevada or on board a cruise ship? Why or why not?
ENGR 105 Introduction to Engineering
3. Would it be ethical for you to participate in the ACME Building Supply Company
Rewards Program? Why or why not?
4. You discover that the owners of ACME are active in the LBGT community. Does that affect your previous decisions? Why or why not?
1. Based on ENGR 105 class discussions, the course text, your knowledge of the NSPE Code of Ethics (available at www.nspe.org) and your research, reflect on the proper course of action you should take in the scenario presented. Your position should be specifically based on contents of the Code and on upon your worldview. Clearly identify how you would address any potential conflicts of interest. Synthesize the similarities and differences between the Bible’s approach to ethics and the engineering creed as they pertain to this scenario. Keep in mind that you are an employee of the construction firm, not a manager or executive in the company. You must carefully balance your personal views with those of the company and the international standards represented by NSPE.
2. Prepare a 1200-1500 word report (length of main body, not counting title or reference page) on your evaluation of this situation, taking care to properly cite sources both intext and in a reference list at the end of the report. Reports that contain verbatim copied passages without proper citation will receive zero (0) credit. In addition, reports that contain lengthy copied passages from sources, even if they are properly cited, will be severely marked down.